Before the Event
Your Porsche needs to go through the pre-event technical and safety inspection before each and every DE event. This is an important part of your preparation. The Tech form can be downloaded here. Print the form, fill in the top section, and present it with your car at the inspection station. Each event requires a separate form and the car must be inspected no more than 2 weeks prior to the event. In the Peachstate area, Hennessy Porsche and Jim Ellis Porsche offer complimentary tech inspections for PCA members, or you may choose another professional repair facility.
You can check many of the items yourself to eliminate extra corrective charges in advance. Virtually all the items on the interior and exterior checklist can be easily verified, as well as several of the engine and trunk components: Check your brake lights, inspect your tires for wear, learn to determine how much brake pads you have left, keep records of when the brakes were last bled and when the brake fluid was last changed and so on. You can save yourself some stress by arranging your tech inspection in good time, and by getting any remedial work done early. Don’t leave yourself open to disappointment by leaving the inspection till the last minute, only to find you need some work done which may mean you miss the event.
Tip: Always have your brakes bled, not just the brake fluid topped off.
What to Bring
- Driver's license and PCA membership card
- Completed Tech Inspection Form
- Completed helmet and insurance forms
- I.C.E. form completed online at cubregistration.net
- Your car numbers or materials to create them (minimum 8” high, 1” stroke)
- Maps and directions to the track and hotel
- Paper towels – useful for window cleaning, mopping up oil drops etc.
- Window cleaner – you’ll pick up a few bugs during the day!
- Tire pressure gauge – essential to get the maximum grip from your tires
- Duct tape – for covering headlights and protecting them from stone chips
- A penknife or similar to cut the tape
- If you don’t have pre-made numbers, some low-adhesive tape to form the numbers on your windows
- A quart of oil and a funnel to ease the filling process.
- White shoe polish for checking tire rollover
- Plastic bags for storing the contents of glove compartment, door pockets etc.
- A tarpaulin, ground sheet or large garbage sacks for placing your belongings on and to cover them if it rains. Also useful on wet days for keeping rain off everything.
- Sun protection such as a wide-brimmed sun-hat, sunscreen and an umbrella for shade
- Rain protection such as a poncho or waterproof outer clothing. An umbrella.
- A folding chair.
- Appropriate clothing: The clothing you wear is intended to keep you safe and comfortable. For driving, a long-sleeved shirt and long pants, both made of natural fibers such as cotton or linen, are required. (Jeans work well) Shoes should also be made of natural fibers and should have a flat sole. Tennis shoes or leather driving shoes are ideal (not jogging shoes with their thick soles). Shorts, short-sleeved shirts, sandals or other loose fitting shoes are not acceptable driving attire. Bring a change of clothing for when you are not driving – whatever is comfortable and suitable for the prevailing weather.
- Cooler with drinks and ice – You will get dehydrated at the track so you must drink plenty of liquid. No alcoholic drinks are permitted at the track for either drivers or spectators until the end of the day - but remember that alcohol can affect your judgment for up to 24 hours so at a two day event be careful.
- Food & snacks. Road Atlanta canteen may not be open at lunchtime.
What Will I Learn?
The learning objectives are different based on experience level. Below is a brief summary of what you should expect by Run Group:
- The Rules
- Road Atlanta
- Basic Car Control
- Builds on Group 1 skills
- Friction Circle
- Basic vehicle dynamics
- Traffic management
- Adjust to range of speed of cars in group
- Adjust to range of driver skill in group
- Self diagnose & self correct
Here are an assortment of the hotels near Road Atlanta. While not an exhaustive list of everything in the area, you should be able to find something for most any budget.